Embroidery!

2015-06-13 19.51.57I’ve been having lots of fun with hand embroidery lately, after I handed in my final Research Methods assignment, I found myself with a bit of time on my hands, and creative withdrawal. Turns out that, next Empire event, my pal Claire is having a hat stall. So I thought that I’d knock up some simple linen coifs to go on said stall, handily giving me an excuse to experiment. with some hand-embroidery.

 

 

The basic coif is like this, based on one that seems to have been popular in medieval Europe. It ties around the head and the front is folded back, giving a winged appearance. I added some flowers to this one in colours that matched my kit.

2015-06-06 17.57.09

I used bullion and lazy daisy stitch for the flowers and stem/lazy daisy for the stem and leaves. I made this one out of cotton (hell, it was an experiment) but was pretty pleased with how it turned out. Should be nice to keep the sun off in summer.

 

 

 

 

I raided my stash and found some nice cream linen and a bit of some sage green as well. Taking a look at some other wildflowers for inspiration, I came up with patterns of daisies, poppies (I’d been wanting to figure those out for ages) wheat, lavender, forget-me-nots and various other flowers.

Here are the results…

2015-06-13 20.01.23 2015-06-13 20.01.33

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, they all got sold, which was great, but then I realised that I didn’t have any left for the stall! So I’ve ordered some more linen now (as well as some for a new dress!) It is nice to have some time to create again!

Cora and the Butterfly

I’m having a lot of fun with the digital painting. Here’s my latest effort. When I was at Empire last summer, a butterfly landed on my a table and my friend, sitting at the table picked it up on her finger. The butterfly was in her house colours and I thought that it would make a lovely painting.

cora with butterfly

I posed for my own reference shot so that I could get an idea of the way the clothing fell, and how the light (near sunset) threw shadows around. The hard bit was getting the shadows the right colour, they were tending to shift towards purple rather than the blue that they would be in strong daylight. I got there in the end, even if I did have to tweak the colour balance to make it a little warmer. And I also made it my mission to learn about different light sources and how they interact with one another.

I struggled a bit with the shapes and shadows initially, then I hit on a way of thinking that treated each shape as a 3D object, thinking more in terms of sculpting, rather than painting. Sounds rather obvious when I think about it, I guess I just got wrapped up in all the other details. Fabric especially gives me the fear, but I’m pleased with how the thickness of the dress fabricĀ is apparent and the light shining through the chemise cuff.

As with all of these character portraits, I was trying to paint the character rather than the player, but I’ve managed to get a likeness on this one!