Embroidery!

2015-06-13 19.51.57I’ve been having lots of fun with hand embroidery lately, after I handed in my final Research Methods assignment, I found myself with a bit of time on my hands, and creative withdrawal. Turns out that, next Empire event, my pal Claire is having a hat stall. So I thought that I’d knock up some simple linen coifs to go on said stall, handily giving me an excuse to experiment. with some hand-embroidery.

 

 

The basic coif is like this, based on one that seems to have been popular in medieval Europe. It ties around the head and the front is folded back, giving a winged appearance. I added some flowers to this one in colours that matched my kit.

2015-06-06 17.57.09

I used bullion and lazy daisy stitch for the flowers and stem/lazy daisy for the stem and leaves. I made this one out of cotton (hell, it was an experiment) but was pretty pleased with how it turned out. Should be nice to keep the sun off in summer.

 

 

 

 

I raided my stash and found some nice cream linen and a bit of some sage green as well. Taking a look at some other wildflowers for inspiration, I came up with patterns of daisies, poppies (I’d been wanting to figure those out for ages) wheat, lavender, forget-me-nots and various other flowers.

Here are the results…

2015-06-13 20.01.23 2015-06-13 20.01.33

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Well, they all got sold, which was great, but then I realised that I didn’t have any left for the stall! So I’ve ordered some more linen now (as well as some for a new dress!) It is nice to have some time to create again!